History of the House and The Historic Grounds
The first stone was laid at Endsleigh in 1810 by Georgiana, Duchess of Bedford and her three eldest stepsons. The land had come to the Russell family on the dissolution of the monasteries; it had previously been church land, owned by Tavistock Abbey and was given by the King ‘for services rendered’.
Endsleigh Estate is situated in the most beautiful Devon Countryside
The Duchess was the 6th Duke’s second wife; she came from a Scottish family and she wanted to replicate the pastoral idyll of her childhood. The Duke was a passionate fisherman and brought his estate manager and agricultural labourers from his estate in Scotland to create the croys (man made obstructions in a river to create a salmon lie) in the river that we see today, expressly for the purpose of creating a salmon river.
Business Membership offers unlimited access to content and a listing in our Business Directory alongside world-famous brands, from just £250 per year. Join the Vintage Revolution today!